Sunday, April 7, 2013

Guess who teaches English at Zhengda Fuzhong: Summary of my 2 days teaching

Thanks to April Wang, who is the language coordinator for CIEE Study Abroad in Taiwan, I was offered the opportunity to teach English at Zhengda Fuzhong and meet my lovely students who all happen to be 10th graders. At first I was very nervous because I have never taught before and I have never had any formal work experience with tutoring  To add to my woes, I did not have an idea of where these kids stand in terms of their level of listening, speaking, reading, and writing English. Hence, I had to experiment for two teaching days in order to figure out where they were. I have realized that I need to create a fun filled activity that can captivate their kids hearts and motivate them to practice their English. I have four very darling students whom I am so thankful to teach. They will try their hardest to do anything I ask them to do.  They are sweet, shy and they typically do what is expected of them in class (something which is expected of them in the Taiwanese academic culture), which I suppose is every American teacher's dream given the butt load of obnoxiously rebellious kids they have to contend with.  As much as I motivate these kids, I feel like I have to constantly work harder at pushing them to speak. I suppose I have not left the American academic culture in the sense that we often force kids to participate in class actively but I guess in this case, I do need to push them and I need to be more fun! Teaching them full sentences does not mean I have to be stiff. I just need to briefly go over parts of speech and how they fit into a sentence grammatically. I don't think I am too worried about what I need to do now. I just need to make them speak coherently as possible! This can definitely be fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment